Monday, March 17, 2008

Local Photography on 9Neighbors

The site 9Neighbors.com is a great resource to help people in the Boston area feel more connected with their community. The news section includes interesting local stories and the site is searchable by neighborhoods or topic (such as Red Sox.) It has all the makings of a great citizen-based community networking site, but my favorite part of this site is the photography section.

People upload their photos taken around Boston to the site and share them with other viewers. I think that it's really cool because it gives residents, even those who aren't particularly artistic, a chance to notice and appreciate how beautiful this city actually is.

Some of the photos, such as this one of a snowman (I love the caption,) are funny, while others are beautiful sites that you might not think could be found in a city, such as this sunset overlooking the pond in Jamaica Plain.

This photo of the Swan Lake in the Common is one of my personal favorites, even though the quality isn't great.
I was really happy to find this section of the site, because I probably never would have looked for something like Boston photography on my own, but I'm glad that I saw it. I think that images like these can help you to really appreciate where you live.

No comments: